Lake Mead N.R.A.

Lake Mead N.R.A.
READY TO ROLL!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Taos and The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

June 15, 2010.


We slept in a little this morning getting up at 8:00. Temps were cool/ cold overnight so I had closed all of our windows before going to bed. When I woke up at 6:45 it was 56 degrees inside! I rolled over and decided to sleep in. A bit later Rico jumped on the bed followed shortly thereafter by Maggie. I guess they were cold.


We took Maggie and Rico for walks and then walked them again as we planned to spend the day in Taos and sightseeing in the area. There is a nice set of trails near the end of the park that are perfect for walking the dogs. I rode my bike on the trail in the picture below. At over 7000 ft. the elevation can almost take your breath away if you exert yourself.



We got going by late morning and we (my father and Karen, Joyce and I) all loaded up in our car and drove a few miles down Hwy 64 to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. If you weren't paying attention, especially at night you could drive over the bridge and gorge and not even realize the depth and enormity of the gorge. We stopped on the East side to walk across the bridge and take photos.





Walking out on the bridge and feeling it vibrate under the weight of the vehicles driving over it was a little unnerving. There's plenty of potholes on the pavement over the bridge which kinda makes your mind question the security of the bridge.


The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, locally known as the "Gorge Bridge," is a cantilever truss bridge across the Rio Grande Gorge 10 miles (16 km) northwest of Taos, New MexicoUnited States. At 650 feet (200 m) above the Rio Grande, it is the fifth highest bridge in the United States.

We crossed over to the rest stop on the West side of the bridge where I took this last shot, my favorite of the bridge pictures that I captured.


Afterwards, we drove to the Taos Pueblo . After finding a place to park, we walked to the visitor center and then decided not to tour the village as the entrance fee was $10 each plus $5 for each camera! 

So, we went down town and did the tourist shopping thing.






The shops are beautiful and interesting, but after awhile you start seeing the same merchandise repeated in every other tourist oriented shop. It's just not my idea of a good time!

We stopped for lunch and then went to Walmart (not a SuperWalmart) and Albertson's for incidentals and groceries. My neck and shoulder were still bothering me so we picked up a pulsating massager that I can use on my own. It seemed to provide some relief.

Tonight lows are expected to be 38 in Taos with a high of 81 tomorrow.  Love this weather! We never turned on the a/c today.



No comments:

Post a Comment