Lake Mead N.R.A.

Lake Mead N.R.A.
READY TO ROLL!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Water Softener

April 30, 2011 Cottonwood Creek RV Park, Dripping Springs, Tx.
A few days ago, I helped the park owners, Sheri and Les cut down and remove some dead cedar trees in the park. That took most of the day. Afterwards, they took Joyce and I out for dinner at Romeo's a popular Italian restaurant in Austin. We had a wonderful meal outside on the patio where we watched folks walking by and cycling. I love seeing folks out on their bicycles!
The water here in Texas and perhaps the West in general is very hard. I mean there is so much limestone around and in the ground that it is common for homes to be decorated with beautiful white and brown lime rockwork. Sometimes the water is so hard you feel like you need to wear a helmet in the shower. More importantly, I was concerned about the mineral lime and scale haze developing on the water fixtures. Yesterday the RV water softener that I ordered arrived. It's a Flow Pur Mark 8000.  I hooked it up to our existing sediment filter.
I hadn't really considered a water softener until some of our friends purchased them. Our friends had larger more expensive water softener models that use rock salt for regeneration. The Flow Pur Mark 8000 only needs a box of common table salt for regeneration. That was a selling point for me. I didn't want to have to mess with keeping a 40 pound bag of rock salt around. Time and testing with hard water test strips will tell how often I need to regenerate it. 
With the new water softener in place and after running several gallons through the RV it was time to take a shower! Yep, we can now lather up...we have suds!

3 comments:

  1. suds away!!!..looks like an easy set up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the same one we use. Seems like with time it doesn't work quite as well as it did when we got it a couple years ago. The distributor told us to use 2 boxes of salt and let sit for an hour, which seemed to help. It is a definitely a necessity out west.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, interesting post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for posting. I'll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts

    ReplyDelete