Lake Mead N.R.A.

Lake Mead N.R.A.
READY TO ROLL!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dinner with Cousins and Joyce blogs on her excursion in Mesilla

June 2-3, 2010.


We spent the last couple of days in Las Cruces and Mesilla, NM. On Wednesday June 2, we awoke to a beautiful sunny morning after temperatures in the mid 60's overnight. We were invited for breakfast at the home of my father's cousin, Bonnie Lilly. Her nickname is short for her spanish name that I can't begin to spell or remember. We drove to Bonnie Lilly and Palo's home in Las Cruces and were treated to a wonderful breakfast of Huevos Rancheros.


By the time we left it was almost noon and had warmed up considerably. We went back home to Hacienda RV Park. Later that evening Bonnie Lilly, Palo and Bonnie's brothers met us at our rig and then at a restaurant in Mesilla, NM. owned by another cousin, Cafe Don Felix.




We all had spectacular Mexican food. Perhaps, the best combination platter I've ever had.




The following day I worked with my father, trying to repair a leaking propane hose on his rig. My father's cousin, Billy met us and took us around Las Cruces on errands. Joyce went with the cousins to Mesilla and wrote the following blog entry:


We planned a girls day out shopping and lunch today.  Our cousin Bonnie, who is a resident of Las Cruces, took us on our shopping trip to Mesilla, NM.




The historic Mesilla Plaza is surrounded by restaurants, shops, and art galleries where we enjoyed browsing around most of the day.

Mesilla also has a wild side.  Many outlaws and rustlers walked the streets  and Billy the Kid was one outlaw that was often seen in the bars in town.  In 1881 Billy the Kid was tried in this building on the Southeast corner of the plaza and sentenced for the murder of Sheriff Brady. People say he still haunts the Old Courthouse building on the corner.




Mesilla is a strong religious community that revolves around San Albino Catholic Church.  Built in 1907, the bells of San Albino are an important part of Mesilla. They ring to wake the town to early mass at 6:30am. They ring for deaths and funerals, baptisms, and marriages.




The three of us worked up a healthy appetite, so after picking up another cousin, Deda, we all went to a cute restaurant called Cafe Josefina. 




The food was excellent and we all enjoyed our meals before heading back out to the plaza for a little more shopping.



I could have found a lot more to buy, but I only came home with a quilted tortilla warmer.  The store clerk said you can also use it to microwave potatoes to perfection--of course you don't puncture them, and 5 minutes on each side.  What the heck--I'll give it a try.




The four of us started getting tired around 3:30pm so we headed home after our long, but most enjoyable shopping day.  I forgot to mention that the temperature was in the high 90's that afternoon, but I dressed cool and comfortable, so it was not too unpleasant.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you both gain weight! Ha Ha
    I love that food...uuummmmmm
    I wish it was chili season. I would have you ship me some green chili!

    ReplyDelete