Lake Mead N.R.A.

Lake Mead N.R.A.
READY TO ROLL!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Travel Day to Kirtland A.F.B.

June 7, 2010.

View Larger Map
We awoke to an overcast morning with temps in the upper 70's. I was out by 7:00 and preparing to leave Elephant Butte Lake State Park. My father and Karen were also preparing their rig to leave. I emptied the two 5 gallon diesel cans that I carry into my truck's tank before leaving as I only had a half tank.

After getting hooked up we rolled over to the dump station to empty our gray and black tanks. We took care of business and got on the highway at about 9:00. We enjoyed our stay at the park, but the conditions were a bit too hot with triple digit temperatures to make it enjoyable. In fact I noticed that I hadn't taken many pictures perhaps due to the fact we spent a lot of time inside!

We had a 3 hour drive to Albuquerque and the Fam Camp at Kirtland A.F.B. I-25 was surprisingly hilly between Truth or Consequences and Albuquerque with some steep down hills and climbs out of canyons.

We arrived at Kirtland A.F.B around noon and quickly set up in the pull through sites in the Fam Camp. 


It's not the type of park that Joyce and I like. Our section has no trees and no views except the mountains in the distance. It's basically a gravel parking lot with hook-ups


We paid $126 for the week. The park has 50 amp, water and sewer but no WiFI.

Once we got set up, we had to return to the gate and the visitor's center to get a pass for the base. As you may recall my father retired from the Air Force so we are able to use the Fam Camp because he and Karen are traveling along with us in their rig and we are their guest at the Fam Camp. However, the computers were down and we were only able to get a 24 hr. pass.

We stopped for lunch at the McDonald's on base and then headed back to the rigs. The temps were climbing into the high 90's and it was time to retreat inside again. By 6:00 p.m. we were able to go back outside. Unfortunately we get full sun on the door side in the afternoon. In the late afternoon, we had some clouds threatening rain in the mountains and a gust of wind nearly ripped off my awning before we could get it retracted. However, we didn't get any rain.

June 8th, 2010.
The next morning, was beautiful with temps in the 70's by 6:30. I walked the dogs and enjoyed the cooler morning temps. My father and I went to a truck accessory store in Albuquerque as I was looking for a tonneau cover to replace the one I have now. Mine uses snaps but it's a bit difficult to unsnap and roll up. After checking the prices, I decided to delay making a purchase!

When we got back, we took our trucks to the carwash on base only to discover it was broken. By now it was noon and hot! Did I mention it gets hot in New Mexico in June. I don't know what we were thinking planning this trip at this time of the year!

We retreated to the rigs the rest of the afternoon. Joyce and Karen had done laundry off base while my father and I were at the truck store. Joyce and I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the inside and vacuuming behind the furniture.  

Another exciting day!




1 comment:

  1. My wife and I spent two days at the Kirtland FamCamp last week. 102 degrees upon our arrival and it appears you had a site very close to ours. Not the place I would want to spend the summer, but great for a couple of days while sightseeing. Moved on west to Camp Navajo, a National Guard base, just west of Flagstaff and are now at St George Ut visiting Zion National Park. I enjoy following your adventures. Marty & Roz Hill

    ReplyDelete