Lake Mead N.R.A.

Lake Mead N.R.A.
READY TO ROLL!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Travel Day to Las Cruces,NM Hacienda RV Resort

June 1, 2010.






We woke to bright sunny skies over Davis Monthan A.F.B., Tucson, AZ. Temps overnight were in the low 60's so as usual we slept without the a/c. Today was a moving day. Moving on to Las Cruces, NM.

The four of us and our two rigs, got going and on the road by 8:30. We had almost 300 miles to travel today to make it to Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces, NM.

Once on I-10 we soon hit some steep rolling hills and gained some altitude pulling out of the Tucson area. I noticed the cooler temperatures at the higher elevation but it wasn't long before we were descending into the hot valleys.

We fueled up in Lordsburg, NM at a Flying J in the RV lanes. Just as I had finished filling my truck with diesel, I noticed a sticker on the pump that read Low Sulfur Diesel, this can damage diesel engines built after 2007. Great! I checked the other pumps in the RV lanes and they read the same. So I checked the diesel pumps in the car lanes and some had stickers that read Low Sulfur and others read Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD). The latter being what I need to use. Well I quickly checked with management as I thought all diesel produced and sold in the U.S. (except Agricultural use) was ULSD. I was wrong however as the government doesn't mandate the transition till Dec. 1, 2010. I was told by employees that all the tanks in the car lanes and RV lanes actually were ULSD and just mislabeled as the diesel all came from the same tank. I certainly hope that was the case!

Back on the road, we had lost an hour crossing into New Mexico from Arizona due to the change from Mountain Standard Time to Mountain Daylight Time. 

So after about 6 hrs. and 270 miles, we were in the Mesilla Valley of Las Cruces. 

Just off the interstate at exit 140 we arrived at Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces at about 3:30. 

We paid the $30 a night summer rate for 3 nights. My father has cousins in the area that he wanted us to all visit, so we plan to leave on Friday. We quickly got set up as temps were in the mid 90's. However, by 6 pm it was already cooling and comfortable outside.


It turns out my Surge Guard still works and must have cut power at our Davis Monthan A.F.B. Agave Campsite due to high voltage. Something I suspected when I checked the voltage with a volt meter in our rig.

Hacienda RV Resort is nice but, I wouldn't call it a resort. My father's rig and ours are in adjoining pull through sites. 

The pads are a fine dusty gravel with sites separated by shrubs. The campground is just yards from the interstate so there is the truck noise. There is not a pool, only a hot tub which isn't too appealing while temps are in the 90's. However, the park is well maintained with no permanent residents and everything is clean. We should enjoy our short stay here.



No comments:

Post a Comment