Lake Mead N.R.A.

Lake Mead N.R.A.
READY TO ROLL!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

UF Students Canoe the Suwannee in Frigid Temps

January 9th, 2010. We awoke to 38 degrees and cloudy skies.  Cloudy skies are always compounded when living in a forest.  

As you may have figured out by now.  I generally write this journal the morning after the actual day I’m writing about.  Well, I had just finished the blog entry for Jan. 8th and had mentioned that it was too cold to kayak.  I went outside with Joyce to walk the dogs and two van loads of students from UF pulled up in front of the canoe launch with canoes.   They made ready to canoe down river just before the shoals and then portage to a primitive camp on the opposite side of the river.  I couldn’t imagine wanting to canoe in such cold cloudy conditions and then sleeping on the ground in a tent during “historic cold weather”.  Anyway, I hope everyone stayed healthy and had a good time!  









Later in the day, I took the John Deere Gator over to the Little Shoals shop and cut a piece of board to finish the repair to the Woodpecker bridge.  The nearly ten miles round trip on a wide open ATV was no fun in these frigid temps.  I think the high was 44 degrees.  Joyce finished cleaning out the utility room in the back of the restroom building and rearranging things.

When I got back I took a short nap with Maggie and Rico who are always willing to participate!  I hadn’t slept well the night before.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great to be young. Sounds like something my boys would do !!

    ReplyDelete